Home

Welcome to the Father Ignatius Memorial Trust website

The Monastery

The Monastery was founded in 1870 by Fr Ignatius with the aim of restoring monastic life to the Church of England, and it remained in monastic use for over forty years. Eric Gill, the sculptor and typographer, lived there from 1924 to 1928. It has been owned by the Knill family since 1986.

The Pilgrimage

Usually the Trust holds an annual pilgrimage to Llanthony and Capel-y-ffin including an optional 3½ mile walk from Llanthony to Capel-y-ffin along the eastern side of the valley. Unfortunately this year’s pilgrimage had to be cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic (see the News page for details of our ‘virtual pilgrimage’). 

The Trust

The Trust objectives include the care of Ignatius’ ruined abbey church, and the nearby Wayside Calvary and statue of Our Lady, as places of pilgrimage, prayer and worship. Although the church is is now structurally unsound and unsafe for public entry, it remains a focus of the annual pilgrimage.

The Trust Archive

There is a collection of Father Ignatius Memorial Trust archive material at Abergavenny Museum. We have also made some documents and articles available on the website on the Documents page.

How you can help

We aim to keep the memory of Ignatius alive and to continue the annual Pilgrimage. You are warmly invited to make a donation and to become a Friend of the Father Ignatius Memorial Trust by subscribing to the Trust Newsletter.

(See the Help Us page).

 

Ignatius at home (1993.139.1.12)-p19n7d6nge1abs3o61ioupnj1ueu

100_3817

Father Ignatius of Llanthony

Fr Ignatius OSB (Revd. Joseph Leycester Lyne, 1837-1908) was a prominent figure in the Catholic Revival which swept the 19th century Church of England.  As a young man he resolved to restore to it the monastic life lost at the Reformation, and devoted the rest of his life to this aim.

Learn more

This message is only visible to admins.
Problem displaying Facebook posts. Backup cache in use.
Click to show error
Error: An unknown error has occurred. Type: OAuthException
A very happy Christmas to all our friends and supporters. ... See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
Good to see this significant anniversary being celebrated. ... See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
This year's Pilgrimage -- due to have taken place this coming Saturday -- is being conducted "virtually". Copies of the programme have been sent to all on our mailing list; for any who have missed out they can be sent by email on application to the Hon Secretary (daviespll@hotmail.com). ... See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
As the usual organised pilgrimage has had to be cancelled in response to the Corona virus, it was greatly encouraging to come across this account of an informal pilgrimage to both Llanthony and Capel-y-ffin a few days ago. ... See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
 

PLEASE BECOME A FRIEND OF THE TRUST

The Trust needs funding to help care for the Abbey Church, the Wayside Calvary and the statue of Our Lady, to aid production of the Trust Newsletter and to allow the annual Pilgrimage to continue.

To contribute, please see the Help Us page – your subscription &/or donation will be much appreciated.  The Father Ignatius Memorial Trust is a registered charity (Charity Commission Registration Number 253225).